This Giving Tuesday, November 30 2021, Support DHF Vecinos and Youth Heroes who volunteer regularly, giving of their own time and energy to uplift their communities, even though many have faced incredible hardships due to the pandemic.
We’re collecting funds to purchase KN95 particulate and 3ply masks to distribute to Central Valley essential workers – farmworkers, janitors, grocery store employees – on the front lines. They are often working outdoors in conditions of poor air quality – and are statistically most likely to be working alongside someone with COVID-19.
These vulnerable professionals are not likely to receive PPE from employers. Access to these masks will save lives.
Western Gravel & Roofing Supply, which has already donated over 30,000 of these life-saving masks, can sell us KN95 and 3ply masks at cost. These masks are crucial right now because of rapid spread COVID-19.
As we gather with friends and family this holiday season (safely, of course), please consider how your food got to your table – by the fortitude and dedication of California essential workers – and give thanks to them by donating to this fundraiser.
The livelihoods of these essential workers – grocery store employees, janitors, farmworkers, & more – depend on them showing up in person to do this demanding work even in the face of rapid rise in COVID-19 cases.
No matter how difficult its been working from home or sheltering in place, it does not compare to how brutal it has been for California farm workers. Covid 19 has devastated the farm worker community. The back breaking work in close proximity to each other and inadequate safety equipment has been a deadly combination. We need to assist with what we can. We can supply them with these lifesaving PPEs.
We all depend on them. Let’s join together and show our gratitude to these essential workers. Help us protect their health, because we count on them daily. Please donate what you can.
For our California folks, you can also…
- Tune in to DH’s 90th Virtual Birthday Celebration on Saturday, May 30, 2020. Check out the Facebook event for details coming soon!
- Complete the 2020 Census by mail, online My2020census.gov or by phone. Call 844-330-2020 for English and 844-468-2020 for Spanish 844-468-2020.
- Call on elected representatives to advocate for closure of the detained courts. https://www.aila.org/advo-media/tools/advocacy-action-center#/73
- Show your support for DHF by donating here: Give2DHF.org
- Give the gift of social justice by shopping at our store bit.ly/DHFshop
For our California folks…
- Help us gather and amplify stories about what’s happening to our families and communities right now in the COVID-19 crisis: https://www.endchildpovertyca.org/stories/. We are hearing from policymakers that they need more on-the-ground data from families and communities about how the coronavirus crisis is impacting people. Together we can impact and transform policies.
- Learn about and Vote YES for the Schools and Communities First Initiative on the November Ballot https://www.schoolsandcommunitiesfirst.org/
- Urge Governor Newsom to order a moratorium on expulsions in K-12. Letter Here
- Sign petition to qualify the California Stem Cell Research, Treatment, and Cures Initiative of 2020 in California. Learn more and sign the petition here caforcures.org
- Share the Kern County COVID-19 resource guides at this link https://doloreshuerta.org/dhf-kern-covid-19-resource-list/
Huge heartfelt thanks and gratitude to all of our generous supporters who make the community organizing work of the Dolores Huerta Foundation possible!
Bakersfield Citizens Launch ‘11 Days for 11 Million: A Vigil to Vote’ to Press Kevin McCarthy to Act Now on HR-15: The Border Security, Economic Opportunity, and Immigration Modernization Act
Camila Chavez, Executive Director of the DHF, and constituent of Republican Whip, Kevin McCarthy sent the congressman a strong message…Don’t DUCK AND HIDE! Face your constituents. We want our congress representatives to pass a comprehensive immigration reform bill with a pathway to citizenship, NOW. We want our congress to pass HR 15 just the way it is written and proposed.
On November 20, our coalition successfully organized a 24 hour fast in front of Liberty Bell. There were 13 Fasters, all local, and all McCarthy’s constituents, who sacrificed food for 24 hours to demonstrate to the community that we will do whatever it takes to get immigration reform passed.
The 13 Fasters came together to write and deliver a letter to McCarthy, and were dismayed by his office reactions upon arriving. McCarthy’s office latterly ran to lock the door, turned off the lights and ducked to the ground and crawled around on their knees to avoid these fasters, to avoid these constituents.