Youth Development Associate Job Description
OVERVIEW: The Dolores Huerta Foundation (DHF) is a non-profit organization whose mission is to inspire and organize communities to build volunteer organizations empowered to pursue social justice. In collaboration with the Martin Luther King Jr. Freedom Center (MLKJFC), DHF launched the Youth and Family Civic Engagement Initiative (YFCEI) in Kern and Fresno counties.
POSITION: The Youth Development Associate will work to increase civic participation among low-income, underrepresented youth and their families. The Youth Development Associate will be responsible for recruiting and working with a cohort of 50 diverse youth; develop classes, trainings, activities; and implement civic engagement projects to develop ethics, moral character, and leadership skills necessary for academic, civic and workforce success. Team members work in a rigorous campaign style environment with regularly scheduled Saturday classes, evening and weekend activities.
- Recruit a cohort of 50 middle and high students through class presentations, nominations, student interviews, school visits, and home visits with family members.
- Develop relationships, resources, and power with students and community members, in tune with values and principles of nonviolence and civil rights.
- Prepare and implement nonviolence leadership classes in evenings and Saturday mornings.
- Provide ethical leadership coaching to provide a framework for self-change, as team members develop the capacity to both give and receive coaching with the students, and with other team members.
- Plan and participate in community and public events together with students and parent volunteers.
- Assist in local and long distance transportation with youth and families.
- Interact with community members, elected officials, funders, students, school administrators, teachers, and parents of the students, promoting the mission and purpose of the DHF.
- Participate in meetings with school administrators, advancing relationships that assist in identification, communication and integration of youth in selection, school related activities, and excused absences for YFCEI work.
- Participate in staff trainings, meetings, planning, and evaluation to ensure execution and evaluation of operational plans; ongoing programmatic training with DHF and MLKJFC
- Maintenance of records, documentation of expenses, program reporting, program outcome documentation and other office related responsibilities.
- Photograph, video, and document all classes and events and post on agency server, website and social media platforms.
- Provide weekly and monthly written management reports to document activities, updates, and results via conference calls and timely updates; Update contacts on the DHF database on a weekly basis.
- Participate in DHF fundraising activities and projects.
- Other responsibilities as assigned.
- Candidate must have 3-5 years’ experience working with youth education or non-profit setting and have a genuine passion and interest in the well-being of youth
- Must have experience with diverse communities
- A current driver’s license, a vehicle and auto insurance for transporting youth.
- Must pass background check
- Excellent time management skills
- Social justice advocacy, policy, and/or community organizing experience preferred
- Commitment to social justice
- Experience in developing & providing trainings
- Coaching experience
- A proactive solutions-oriented approach, self-motivated, resourceful, and creative
- Excellent interpersonal skills (one on one and group dynamics), cultural competency, strong listening skills, and humor
- Written and spoken proficiency in Spanish & English is a plus
- Proficiency in Word, Excel, Outlook, & on-line tools
- Ability to work evenings and weekends
- Strong collaborator, team player, able to adapt quickly to changing situations
Location: Sanger, California
Full-time, salary $38,000/year, non-exempt
Excellent medical, dental & vision benefits, life insurance.
Please email resume, cover letter, and a minimum of 3 references to:
Yesenia Ocampo, Youth Program Director
Dolores Huerta Foundation, PO Box 2087, Bakersfield, CA 93303
Include “YFCEI Youth Development Associate” in the subject of your email.