YFCEI Intern Job Description
OVERVIEW: The Dolores Huerta Foundation (DHF) is a non-profit organization whose mission is to inspire and organize communities to build volunteer organizations empowered to pursue social justice. In collaboration with the Martin Luther King Jr. Freedom Center (MLKJFC), DHF recently launched theYouth and Family Civic Engagement Initiative (YFCEI) in Kern and Fresno counties.
POSITION: The Youth and Family Civic Engagement Initiative (YFCEI) Intern will work with the YFCEI team to implement the Youth and Family Civic Engagement Initiative (YFCEI) to increase civic participation among low-income, underrepresented youth and their families. The intern will be responsible for supporting DHF’s YFCEI team with administrative tasks, logistics and student transportation. Intern will assist with classes and civic engagement events, class co-facilitation as needed, and communicating with current student participants and their families. Reports to Youth and Family Civic Engagement Initiative (YFCEI) Director.
- Support the recruitment and retention of a cohort of 50 middle and high students through ongoing communication with student and student guardians.
- Assist with the transportation of students for classes and civic engagement events
- Provide peer leadership coaching
- Participate in the co-facilitation of classes as needed
- Provide material and classroom logistical support
- Communicate with current student participants and their families
- Participate in community and public events together with students and parent volunteers
- Interact with community members, elected officials, students, school administrators, teachers, and parents of the students
- Other responsibilities as assigned.
- Candidates must have at least 1-2 years’ experience working with youth education or non-profit setting and have a genuine passion and interest in the well-being of youth
- Must have experience with diverse communities (cultures, races, sexual orientation and gender identity)
- A current driver’s license, a vehicle and auto insurance for transporting youth
- Must pass background checks
- Coaching experience is a plus
- Advocacy and policy experience is a plus
- Demonstrated commitment to social justice
- LGBT cultural competency
- Passion for community organizing
- Written and spoken proficiency in Spanish & English is a plus
- Ability to work evenings, weekends and during all school breaks
- Ability to show warmth, patience and flexibility in this high demanding role
Location: Sanger, CA or Bakersfield, CA
Part-time 20 hours per week, salary: $15/hour; non-exempt (Schedule will depend on program needs)
HOW TO APPLY
Please send resume, cover letter, and 3 professional references to:
Yesenia Ocampo, Youth Program Director
Dolores Huerta Foundation, PO Box 2087, Bakersfield, CA 93303
Include “YFCEI Intern Application” in the subject of your email.