Volunteer and Resource Coordinator Job Description
OVERVIEW The Dolores Huerta Foundation (DHF) is a non-profit organization whose mission is to inspire and organize communities to build volunteer organizations empowered to pursue social justice. In collaboration with the Martin Luther King Jr. Freedom Center (MLKJFC), DHF launched the Youth and Family Civic Engagement Initiative (YFCEI) in Kern and Fresno counties.
The Volunteer and Resource Coordinator position is twofold: 1) to oversee volunteer recruitment, orientation and retention for various DHF programs and activities and 2) Provide referrals and support for DHF youth and their families in need of referrals, resources, and/or social services. The Volunteer and Resource Coordinator will work as a team member of the Youth and Family Civic Engagement Initiative (YFCEI) and report to the YFCEI Program Director.
- Oversee recruitment, outreach, orientation, training, and supervision of DHF volunteers.
- Establish partnerships with local businesses to recruit volunteers and secure in kind services and/or resources.
- Provide intakes of potential volunteers to best match them with DHF program and activities.
- Implement background checks for volunteers working with youth.
- Maintain regular communication with volunteer base.
- Work with DHF staff to meet their volunteer needs.
- Document volunteer hours and services provided.
- Assist with volunteer coordination at DHF community events.
- Organize volunteer appreciation events.
- Represent DHF in the community.
- Research local resources & services available to youth and adults and connect them to these resources as necessary.
- Compile a comprehensive guide for services and resources available to local youth and families.
- Establish partnerships and agreements with social service agencies to provide referrals for youth and families needing social services.
- Maintain confidential records (activity logs, phone logs, referrals, etc.) for the purpose of documenting activities.
- Attend community collaborative meetings for the purpose of gaining information and/or discussing needs and problems involving local youth and adults.
- Work with YFCEI teammembers and appropriate community agency personnel for the purpose evaluating the needs and assisting specific individuals.
- Responds to inquiries from a variety of internal and external sources (e.g. parents, program participants, MFNH staff, outside agencies, etc.) for the purpose of providing information and/or direction as may be required.
- Be on call to assess situations, provide information and/or referrals in a timely manner.
- Perform other related duties as assigned for the purpose of ensuring the efficient and effective functioning of the work of the team.
- Significant experience working with youth and young adults and experience with diverse communities (cultures, races, sexual orientation and gender identity)
- Social work experience a plus
- Confidentiality is a professional necessity in the work with youth and their families
- Social justice advocacy and policy experience and/or community organizing preferred
- A proactive solutions-oriented approach, self-motivated, resourceful, and creative
- Excellent interpersonal skills (one on one and group dynamics), strong communication and listening skills, and humor
- Written and spoken proficiency in Spanish & English is a must
- A current driver’s license, a vehicle and auto insurance for transporting youth
- Pass background check
- Proficiency in Word, Excel, Outlook, & on-line tools
- Excellent time management skills
- Strong collaborator, team player, able to adapt quickly to changing situations
- Ability to provide own transportation and a valid driver’s license
- Demonstrated proficiency in MS Word, Excel, Outlook and Internet
Location: Bakersfield or Fresno, California
Full-time, salary beginning at $40,000/year, non-exempt
Excellent medical, dental & vision benefits, life insurance.
Please send resume, cover letter, and a minimum of 3 references to:
Yesenia Ocampo, Youth Program Director
Dolores Huerta Foundation, PO Box 2087, Bakersfield, CA 93303
Include “Volunteer and Resource Coordinator” in the subject of your e-mail.