Established in 2003, the Dolores Huerta Foundation’s (DHF) mission is to inspire and organize communities to establish volunteer organizations empowered to pursue social justice. DHF conducts movement-building at the intersection of race, class, sexual orientation, and socio-economic status to address the harmful and discriminatory practices and abuses faced by marginalized individuals and families in the San Joaquin Valley. DHF uses a multi-pronged approach – grassroots organizing, advocacy, leadership development, and a public relations strategy to inform narrative change.
The DHF Education Policy Program seeks to hire a School Meals Project Coordinator to educate, train, organize, and engage community members to advocate for health and nutrition through Civic Engagement. The School Meals Project Coordinator will create a curriculum regarding issues related to health and nutrition. The curriculum will be centered on empowering parents, students and community members to advocate for community health.
- Work closely with the Education Policy Director to produce planning and coordination of health education programs, projects, and/or campaigns.
- Cultivate DHF participation in collaborations with partner organizations and seek allies addressing food insecurity in the San Joaquin Valley
- Maintain analysis and oversight of existing health and nutrition policies at target school districts
- Research and compile data to support state and national legislative efforts addressing food insecurity.
- Develop positive relationships with school districts to support DHF’s advocacy work.
- Communicate and coordinate with parents and community members with projects, campaigns, and media opportunities.
- Facilitate training for parents and other community members on a variety of health, civic engagement, and education curriculum in both Spanish and English.
- Create content for newsletters and various social media platforms to update community members and partners on our work.
- Provide weekly written reports to document activities, updates, and results via conference calls and timely updates.
- Other duties as assigned (nonpartisan voter engagement, data collection & data entry, and fundraising)
The ideal candidate will have the following skills and experiences:
- Associates Degree or equivalent experience can be substituted for education
- Experience and passion for community organizing
- Experience in providing trainings
- A proactive solutions-oriented approach
- Excellent interpersonal skills (one on one and group dynamics), cultural competency, strong listening skills, and personable
- Patience and flexibility
- Excellent team player
- Written and spoken proficiency in Spanish & English
- Proficiency in Word, Excel, Outlook, Videoconference, google drive, & on-line navigation
- Self-motivated, resourceful, and creative
- Ability to work evenings and weekends
- Strong collaborator, team player, able to adapt quickly to changing situations
- Time management skills
- Self-confidence and self-assurance
- California Driver’s License
- Reliable transportation and auto insurance
Location: Kern County
Hourly rate: $21.50
Comprehensive Medical, Dental, Vision and Life Insurance
- 75% of Medical Premium paid by DHF
- Paid Life Insurance
- 401(k) with Employer Match
- Accrued Paid Vacation
- Internal learning and development programs
Please send resume, cover letter, and 3 references to:
email@example.com Subject: “School Meals Project Coordinator Applicant: [YOUR NAME]”