People Powered Legislative Wins!
With the support of volunteers, Vecinos Unidos® members, and partnered organizations across the state, we are proud to celebrate these recent legislative wins. This is what People Power looks like!
- SB 380 End Of Life Options Act – This is a notable step forward for adults who are navigating the most challenging time in their lives. It reduces the mandatory minimum 15-day waiting period between the two oral requests for aid-in-dying medication to 48 hours for all eligible terminally ill Californians.
- SB 721 California Farmworker Day – Establishes a day to honor the state’s roughly 800,000 farmworkers who play a vital role in maintaining our food supply and whose work is more critical than ever during the pandemic.
- SB 393 Farmworker Access to Childcare Act – Directs resources to the Migrant Child Care Alternative Payment Program so that such workers can gain access to child care in any county in the state.
- SB 497 Direct Deposits to Qualifying Accounts, Overdraft Features – Closes a loophole that allows non-bank prepaid card companies to evade California laws that prohibit overdraft fees on prepaid cards used to receive public assistance, unemployment compensation, or state distributed child support payments.
- SB 81 Judicial Guidelines for Sentence Enhancements – Establishes guidance when a judge is deciding whether to dismiss an enhancement by requiring judges to give “great weight” to evidence that proves certain mitigating circumstances, such as: The underlying conviction is not a violent felony.
- SB 224 Pupil Instruction Mental Health Education – Requires each school district, county office of education, state special school, and charter school that offers one or more courses in health education to pupils in middle school or high school to include in those courses instruction on mental health that meets the requirements of the bill, as specified.