More than 230 people attended the premiere of StrikeOut at the Maya on March 28th. StrikeOut, a short docudrama by Novelas Educativas®, is about the school-to-prison pipeline, which is the result of harsh discipline policies that too often push students out of school.
The film was followed by a panel discussion. A diversity of education stakeholders offered their thoughts on the status of school discipline in Kern County. Panelists included:
- Dr. Ramona Bishop, Superintendent, Vallejo Unified School District – A champion of the national movement to dismantle the School-to-Prison Pipeline
- Dr. Robert Arias, Chief of Local and Statewide Initiatives, Kern County Superintendent of Schools Office – Former Superintendent of Bakersfield City School District
- Miguel Orozco, Writer and Producer of StrikeOut – Co-Founder, Novelas Educativas®
- Erika Brooks, DHF Education Program Director – Community advocate in the movement for Education Equity in Kern County
- Joey Williams, Lead Organizer, Faith in Action – Former KHSD student and actively engaged parent for Educational Justice
If we want a healthy community, we need to keep students in school through positive discipline policies. To get involved or to learn more click here: