Position Title: Community Organizer
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Location: South Kern, California City
Reports to: Organizing Director
Payrate: $22 – $23 Hourly
The Community Organizer is focused on building and expanding the Volunteer base in the assigned
South Kern and California City communities. Organizers develop social justice based programs to
raise awareness of services and resources available to the community.
● Building up parents, students, and members of the community to be leaders in their targeted
● Conduct House Meeting Campaigns in targeted neighborhoods.
● Recruit and train volunteers to plan, facilitate, publicly speak and advocate for their neighbors.
● Develop and implement a plan to engage community members with collective issues including
Education, Health, LGBTQ+ equality, and civic engagement.
● Engage volunteers in non-partisan outreach and mobilization programs.
● Interdepartmental collaboration on a variety of programming, communications and issues affecting
● Graduate from an accredited college
● Equivalent combination of relevant education and experience may be substituted as appropriate
● 2+ Years’ experience in a community outreach role preferred
● Reliable transportation, driver license and auto insurance
● Written and spoken proficiency in English and Spanish a plus
● Ability to work evenings and weekends
● Community Outreach
● Public Speaking
● Social Justice Advocacy
● Community Engagement
Job Specific Competencies:
● Strategic Thinking: Possesses a broad understanding of organizational strategic planning,
implementation and evaluation.
● Leadership: Demonstrates understanding of a variety of leadership and management principles
● Mission Focus: Possesses advanced knowledge and understanding of the challenges and
opportunities relating to the mission of the organization.
● Technical Skill: Knowledge of and extensive experience planning and organizing events and
● Communication: Communicates clearly, both verbally and in writing. Is an effective public
speaker. Communicates effectively and professionally among all levels of the organization and the
public. Bilingual (Spanish and English) applicants a plus
● Ethical Practice: Models the highest level of ethics, integrity, DHF values, and social
● Relationship Management: Demonstrated experience working with the staff at all levels in a
collaborative, environment; commitment and ability to promote and sustain positive workplace
values and relationships
● Interpersonal Skills: Ability to work well under pressure, and remain calm and controlled when
faced with difficult situations. Strives for immediate address.
The Dolores Huerta Foundation offers a comprehensive Benefits Package:
● 75% of Medical Premiums paid
● Paid Life Insurance
● 401(k) Plan with Employer Match
● Accrued Paid Vacation
● Internal learning and development programs
Send resume, cover letter and 3 references to firstname.lastname@example.org
Type “Community Organizer” in the subject line
The Dolores Huerta Foundation is an equal-opportunity employer.