Dolores Huerta Foundation Background:
Established in 2003, the DHF’s mission is to inspire and organize communities to establish
volunteer organizations empowered to pursue social justice. DHF conducts movement-building
at the intersection of race, class, sexual orientation, and socio-economic status to address the
harmful and discriminatory practices and abuses faced by marginalized individuals and families
in the San Joaquin Valley. The DHF uses a multi-pronged approach – grassroots organizing,
advocacy, leadership development, and a public relations strategy to inform narrative change.
The Role of the Organizer:
The Dolores Huerta Foundation is looking for experienced and energetic Community Health
Organizers to implement a two-month campaign targeting farm working communities.
- Door to door canvassing in targeted neighborhoods to identify individuals affected by
- Conduct outreach at local venues (grocery stores, swap meets, etc.)
- Attend various events within the local and neighboring communities to identify potentially
affected persons and share information regarding the campaign.
- Give presentations to groups of individuals (churches, parent meetings, etc.)
- Assist in the organizing of DHF sponsored town hall meetings
- Some media outreach
- Make referrals to designated attorneys
- Assist potential clients with signing attorney documents
- Meet with team leaders on a regular basis, provide weekly written progress reports
- Other tasks as assigned
Qualifications / Requirements:
● Reliable transportation; required to travel to multiple locations in Kern, Tulare, Fresno and
● Valid California Driver’s License
● Auto insurance
● Organizing, community outreach or canvassing experience
● Able to work evenings and weekends
● Bilingual Spanish/English speaking required
● Public speaking
● Cell phone and GPS
$19/hour, full time, temporary position (June – August 2021). There may be
opportunity for full time employment at the termination of this campaign.
To apply, email resume, cover letter, and a minimum of 3 references to:
DHF Human Resources: email@example.com
Include “Community Health Organizer” in the subject of your email.
The Dolores Huerta Foundation is an equal opportunity employer.