Established in 2003, the Dolores Huerta Foundation’s (DHF) mission is to inspire and organize communities to establish volunteer organizations empowered to pursue social justice. DHF conducts movement-building at the intersection of race, class, sexual orientation, and socio-economic status to address the harmful and discriminatory practices and abuses faced by marginalized individuals and families in the San Joaquin Valley. DHF uses a multi-pronged approach – grassroots organizing, advocacy, leadership development, and a public relations strategy to inform narrative change.
The Communications Director takes direction from and reports to the Executive Director on projects and activities related to communications programming, press coordination and social media. The Communication director supervises a team and oversees the following:
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Coordinate and implement frequent communications and updates, such as calls to action, updates and promotion of DHF’s work to donors and supporters.
- Oversee regular social media and website updates regarding DHF projects, campaigns, and successes, calls to action and promotion of DHF’s work.
- Write and send media advisories, press releases, make outreach calls to the press to encourage attendance at DHF events, create press packets, establish relationships with members of the press, regularly update the DHF press list, and track DHF press hits and promote on social media.
- Train staff on communications with the press and best practices for messaging; assist staff members preparing for press interviews.
- Execute departmental needs in their respective action plans such as flyers, social media promotion, press promotion, etc.
- Oversee and coordinate graphic design needs for the DHF team including flyers, merchandise, and publications.
- Create and publish regular publications: Vecinos Unidos (Neighbors United) quarterly newsletter, Weaving Movements Newsletter, and Community Alliance monthly sponsored page.
- Provide writing support and editing for DHF President, Executive Director, and other staff.
- Create and publish Op Eds and Letters to the Editor.
- Track DHF events and collect staff event report forms, photos, videos, and press clippings.
- Produce and coordinate the distribution of DHF fundraising appeals. Coordinate with the Development Department to express timely gratitude to donors and supporters through a variety of communication methods.
- Oversee responses to correspondence and inquiries for DHF from the general public.
- Attend staff meetings, Director meetings and submit weekly/monthly reports,
- Other duties as assigned (ie. Fundraising, data entry, and Get Out the Vote)
Knowledge Skills Abilities & Required Qualifications
- Excellent time management skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Strong communication skills
- Excellent knowledge of fundraising information and sources
- Proficiency Office 365 Applications
- Written and spoken proficiency in Spanish & English is a plus
- Ability to work evenings and weekends
Education & Experience
- Bachelor Degree in creative writing or related field (relevant experience can substitute for education requirement.
- 2+ years’ experience in a management position
- Proficient with measuring and reaching income goals
Benefits: Eligible the 1st of the month following 60 days of service:
- Medical: Kaiser HMO, $10 office visit copay
- Dental: Guardian PPO, $30 deductible, 100% preventive care
- Vision: VSP Choice Network $25 copay,
- Life Insurance. Guardian, $25,000 life insurance policy provided by DHF with an option to purchase additional life insurance
Eligible after 1 year of service and hours requirement met:
Retirement: Principal Financial, DHF offers a 3% match
Kern, Salary, FLSA Status: F/T Exempt