GIS Intern JOB DESCRIPTION
OVERVIEW: The Dolores Huerta Foundation (DHF) is a non-profit organization whose mission is to inspire and organize communities to build volunteer organizations empowered to pursue social justice. In 2017 DHF launched the Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Department where we are Mapping Social Justice in our communities.
POSITION: The Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Intern will work with the GIS team to collaborate on GIS projects that highlight the work of the foundation. The intern will be responsible for supporting DHF’s GIS team with data entry, updating story maps, researching data for new projects, and surveys. Reports to GIS Analyst.
1. Assist with data collection, development, and maintenance
2. Update database of members and supporters
3. Update existing story maps
4. Create and edit maps 5. Assist with GIS/Data Analyst assignments 6. Other responsibilities as assigned.
● Candidates must have at least 1-2 years’ experience working with GIS (can include internships, course work, professional work)
● Experience using Esri Suite
● Exhibit skills in map creation and editing
● Familiarity with Excel
● Must have experience with diverse communities (cultures and races)
● Advocacy and policy experience is a plus
● Commitment to social justice
● Written and spoken proficiency in Spanish & English is a plus
Location: Bakersfield, CA
Salary: Hourly; $15 an hour/ 20 hours a week
HOW TO APPLY
Submit a resume, three professional references and cover letter detailing your interest and qualifications for the position, via email to email@example.com. Include “GIS Intern” in the subject of your email.