The Dolores Huerta Peace and Justice Cultural Center
Actual building may not resemble illustrations.
In 2019, the Dolores Huerta Foundation (DHF) embarked on a mission to establish the Dolores Huerta Peace and Justice Cultural Center within Dolores’ lifetime. This year was especially meaningful given the $15 million budget allocation from the California legislature. Supporters have helped us raise close to $2 million in donations. With this generous outpouring, we are now
$7 million away from our $24 million goal and achieving our dream of constructing a place to call home.
Revitalizing an entire city block in Downtown Bakersfield, the multi-use campus and headquarters for the DHF will draw tourists and revitalize small businesses in the heart of California’s Central Valley. The Peace and Justice Cultural Center will include a child development center, a credit union, multicultural community space and an organizing institute where DHF will train thousands of activists from around the country with the common goal of building the power and practice of grassroots community organizing.
We can’t get there without the continued help of our friends and supporters. With your donation, we can make this dream a reality today!
¡Si Se Puede!
Find out why our community supports this project.
In addition to serving as the headquarters for the Dolores Huerta Foundation, the Peace & Justice Cultural Center will include:
– A Youth center for empowerment and leadership development programs
– A preschool for early childhood development integrating parent empowerment
– A cultural center honoring those who contributed to the rich history and economy of the Central Valley (Native Americans, Dust Bowl settlers, Arabs, Chinese, Japanese, African Americans, Filipinos and Latinos)
– An Auditorium and outdoor event center for cultural & community events as well as meeting spaces for local organizations
– And the Dolores Huerta Foundation offices and the Dolores Huerta Organizing Leadership Academy
“We are excited about building a permanent home for DHF as well as other non-profit organizational activities. We will expand our programming and increase the number of people we serve.”
– Camila Chavez
Executive Director of the Dolores Huerta Foundation
“The creation of the Dolores Huerta Peace and Justice Cultural Center will serve as a symbol of peace and positive change for generations to come. This historic investment in our community will help in the pursuit of justice, peace, cultural competency and lasting positive change for all Californian families.”