Current Opening: Equality Organizer and Trainer Job Announcement
EQUALITY ORGANIZER & TRAINER JOB DESCRIPTION
ORGANZATION OVERVIEW: The Dolores Huerta Foundation is a non-profit organization creating networks of healthy, organized communities pursuing social justice through systemic and structural transformation.
POSITION: The DHF seeks to hire a dynamic and creative Equality Organizer & Trainer to engage Latinx community members to establish a grassroots base of trained volunteers advocating to improve the climate for LGBTQ students and residents in Kern County.
- Build a volunteer base of Bakersfield residents and students conducting a “House Meeting” campaign.
- Establish committees to advocate for LGBTQ rights in the community and in schools while keeping abreast of local, state, and national LGBTQ issues.
- Coordinate monthly General Meetings (community forums) to inform and activate the base.
- Develop and implement a strategic advocacy plan to protect the rights of LGBTQ students.
- Recruit and train volunteer activists in planning, facilitation, public speaking, advocacy, media, and outreach. Assist in co-facilitation of the DHF Teens 4 Equality (LGBTQ youth program).
- Participate in collaborations with partner organizations, students, young adults, parents and allies working on LGBTQ equality, educational justice, immigration reform, health care access, etc…
- Implement the following Civic Engagement activities:
- Advocate with local agencies and public officials.
- Advocate on state and national issues.
- Engage volunteer residents in non-partisan voter registration, education, Get Out The Vote (GOTV), and other outreach/mobilization programs.
- Lead Power Analysis and Campaign Development to address issues affecting underrepresented communities.
- Establish a media and communications plan to publicize projects and solicit community support.
- Provide weekly written reports to document activities, updates, and results via staff meetings, conference calls and timely updates.
- Update contacts on the DHF database on a weekly basis.
- Assist in DHF fundraising efforts.
- Other tasks as assigned.
The ideal candidate will have the following skills and experiences:
- Experience and passion for community organizing
- Experience in providing trainings
- Experience in working with LGBTQ community and demonstrated LGBTQ cultural competency
- A proactive solutions-oriented approach
- Excellent interpersonal skills (one on one and group dynamics), strong listening skills, and humor
- Patience and flexibility
- Strong collaborator and team player
- Written and spoken proficiency in Spanish & English
- Proficiency in Word, Excel, Outlook, & on-line navigation
- Self-motivated, resourceful, and creative
- Ability to work evenings and weekends
- Ability to adapt quickly to changing situations
- Excellent time management skills
- Self-confidence and self-assurance
- Car & insurance
Location: Bakersfield, CA
Excellent medical, dental and vision benefits; Life insurance
Please send resume, cover letter, and 3 references to:
Camila Chávez, Executive Director
Dolores Huerta Foundation, PO Box 2087, Bakersfield, CA 93303 OR firstname.lastname@example.org, Fax: 661-322-3171
Download PDF Equality Organizer and Trainer 10-1-17