Current Opening: Education Program Associate
EDUCATION PROGRAM ASSOCIATE
ORGANZATION OVERVIEW: The Dolores Huerta Foundation is a non-profit organization creating networks of healthy, organized communities pursuing social justice through systemic and structural transformation.
POSITION: The DHF seeks to hire an education program associate to support DHF’s program to educate, train, organize, and engage community members to participate in voting and other forms of civic engagement. The education program associate will create curriculum and facilitate trainings in both English and Spanish for leadership development of volunteer residents, parents, and students.
- Provide support to Education Policy Director with planning and coordination of education program, projects, and/or campaigns.
- Cultivate DHF participation in collaborations with partner organizations and allies working on educational justice.
- Provide support to Kern Education Justice Collaborative (KEJC):
- Finalize meeting agendas, take and distribute minutes
- Follow through on Collaborative projects (coordinate site visits, media and communications, working with partners throughout the state)
- Monitor targeted school districts’ policies and practices.
- Maintain analysis and oversight of Local Control Accountability Plans in targeted school districts, including Arvin Union, Lamont, Vineland, Greenfield Union, Woodlake Unified, Lindsay Unified, Sanger Unified, Kern High, and Bakersfield City.
- Research and compile data to inform and support DHF education program initiatives.
- Develop expertise in school climate, parent engagement, and community schools to support DHF’s advocacy work.
- Assist with developing student and parent training curriculum development using Popular Education techniques on comprehensive education and civic engagement topics.
- Facilitate trainings for parents and other community members on a variety of civic engagement and education curriculum in both Spanish and English.
- Create content for newsletters and various social media platforms to update community members and partners on our work.
- Provide weekly written reports to document activities, updates, and results via conference calls and timely updates.
- Other tasks as assigned
The ideal candidate will have the following skills and experiences:
- Experience and passion for community organizing
- Experience in providing trainings
- A proactive solutions-oriented approach
- Excellent interpersonal skills (one on one and group dynamics), cultural competency, strong listening skills, and humor
- Patience and flexibility
- Excellent team player
- Written and spoken proficiency in Spanish & English
- Proficiency in Word, Excel, Outlook, & on-line navigation
- Self-motivated, resourceful, and creative
- Ability to work evenings and weekends
- Strong collaborator, team player, able to adapt quickly to changing situations
- Time management skills
- Self-confidence and self-assurance
- Car & insurance
Location: Bakersfield, California
Medical, dental & vision benefits
Please send resume, cover letter, and 3 references to:
Camila Chávez, Executive Director
Dolores Huerta Foundation
PO Box 2087
Bakersfield, CA 93303
OR firstname.lastname@example.org, Fax: 661-322-3171
View a PDF version of this job announcement at this link DHF Education Associate Job Description