Community Organizing Fellow Job Description
Organization Overview: The Dolores Huerta Foundation is a non-profit organization inspiring and organizing communities to build volunteer organizations empowered to pursue social justice.
Position: The Community Organizing Fellows will receive an intensive training in the house meeting model of organizing. Upon completion of this training they will engage community residents and establish a grassroots base of trained volunteers to engage in advocacy efforts around the 2020 U.S. Census, education, health, and civic engagement outcomes for local residents.
Brief Job Overview:
- Master knowledge of the house meeting organizing model and the issues relating to the 2020 U.S. Census.
- Build a base of parents, students, and community members conducting a “House Meeting” campaign in their assigned community.
- Establish Vecinos Unidos (Neighbors United) Chapters in assigned communities.
- Organize and coordinate monthly community meetings and smaller committee meetings/trainings as needed.
- Recruit and train volunteer activists in advocacy projects and activities.
- Develop grassroots leadership through delegation and coaching.
- Provide weekly written reports to document activities, updates, and results via conference calls and timely updates.
- Update contacts on the DHF database on a weekly basis.
- Participate in weekly staff calls and monthly staff meetings.
- Other duties as assigned.
The ideal candidate will have the following skills and experiences:
- Experience and passion for community organizing
- Experience in providing trainings
- Experience in working with diverse communities
- A proactive solutions-oriented approach
- Excellent interpersonal skills (one on one and group dynamics), cultural competency, strong listening skills, and humor
- Patience and flexibility
- Strong collaborator and team player
- Written and spoken proficiency in English and Spanish
- Proficiency in Word, Excel, Outlook, & on-line navigation
- Self-motivated, resourceful, and creative
- Ability to work evenings and weekends
- Ability to adapt quickly to changing situations
- Excellent time management skills
- Self-confidence and self-assurance
- Car & insurance
Location: DHF Bakersfield or Sanger office
Excellent medical, dental and vision benefits; life insurance
Please send resume, cover letter, and three references to:
Moises Hernandez Organizing Department- Administrative Assistant
Dolores Huerta Foundation
PO Box 2087, Bakersfield, CA 93303 or email@example.com
Include “Organizing Fellow” application in the subject of your email.